Household Benefits Package 2022: Form & Details

A house with a slot in the top and a coin being dropped into it

Wondering how to apply for the household benefits package? Where to get the application form, and who qualifies? Our easy-to-understand guide to the household benefits package in Ireland answers all of these questions and more.

What is the Household Benefits Package?

To eligible citizens, the Household Benefits Package offers financial assistance for common household bills. There are two allowances in the package (before 2014 there was also a telephone allowance but this has since been discontinued).

The allowances included in the household benefits package are:

  1. A free tv licence.
  2. Credit against your electricity OR gas bills. This is also known as either the electricity or gas allowance. It can only be applied towards one type of fuel.

Altogether the household benefits package can save you the tidy sum of €580 a year. If you think you might qualify, it’s definitely worth your while having a look at the section on eligibility below. You should also check out our article on the fuel allowance to see if you’re also entitled to it, as both allowances are compatible with each other and can be claimed at the same time.

You can also consider different government schemes like the help to buy and rent to buy to obtain further economical assistance.

Selectra man

Selectra can help you double up your savings by getting better energy rates.

Call us to find out how you can save even more on top of your energy scheme help.

1800 816 036 or
Selectra man

Save money on your energy bills with Selectra.

Selectra is currently closed. You can leave your phone number and get a free callback.

How much is the household benefits package?

The maximum amount you can obtain towards your free tv license is €160.

You can receive up to €35 credit per month towards your electricity OR gas bill. It works out to €1.15 per day and will appear on your utility bill as -€1.15068493.

There are five ways you can receive help with these household bills. They are:

  1. Electricity allowance
  2. Cash electricity allowance
  3. Gas allowance
  4. Cash gas allowance
  5. TV licence allowance

We examine in further detail the process for each option below.

Electricity allowance

Electricity bill

If you’re with Electric Ireland or Bord Gáis you have the option of having your household benefits allowance paid directly to your supplier as a monthly credit against your utility bill.

If you’re with any other supplier, the household benefits allowance will be deposited into your bank or post office account which you provide details for on your application form.

Cash electricity allowance

If you’re living in a flat or an apartment you may qualify for the cash electricity allowance, payable to your bank account or post office account directly. To qualify you’ll need to have an electricity slot meter at your address, or your landlord will need to be a registered consumer of electricity.

Gas allowance

A gas flame

Should you prefer to use your household benefits package towards your gas bill, it works the same as with the electricity allowance. You can choose to have your gas allowance either be put into your bank account directly each month, or paid as a monthly credit against your Bord Gáis Energy or Electric Ireland gas bill.

Cash gas allowance

If you qualify for the cash gas allowance you will receive it in your account every month even though you may not be connected to a gas supply (for example if you have a tank, or use bottled gas cylinders).

You can qualify if you are the registered consumer of gas for an address or if your landlord is, and provides written confirmation that you are paying the gas bill.

TV licence allowance

If you qualify for the household benefits package and would like to apply for the free TV license, you can apply using the same household benefits package form which is used for the gas or electricity allowance (just make sure to tick the TV licence box).

You will then be eligible for a free TV licence from the date of your next renewal and An Post will be contacted and informed of this by the Department of Welfare.

If your circumstances change and you are no longer entitled to the Household Benefits Package, you will lose your right to a free license and will need to start paying for one again at the next date of renewal.

Who is entitled to the household benefits package?

There are six categories under which people can qualify for the Household Benefits package (for permanent and legal residents only).

RestrictionsOnly one person in a household can qualify at any given moment.

  • Anyone over the age of 70.
  • If you are getting the Carer’s Allowance and living full time with the person you are caring for.
  • If you are aged 66-70 and upon retirement receive a state pension, a widow’s/widower’s/surviving civil partner’s pension, a deserted wife’s benefit/allowance, a garda widow’s pension, or the equivalent of the above from another EU state or a country which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement with.
  • If you are aged 66-70 and satisfy a means test.
  • If you are under 66 and receive a disability living allowance, invalidity pension, blind pension, incapacity supplement or workmen’s compensation with disablement pension (for at least 12 months), or the equivalent of the above from another EU state or a country Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement with.
  • If you are looking after a person in receipt of a constant attendance allowance.

Means TestIf your weekly means are less than or equal to your weekly income, then you qualify for the means test. Your weekly means are based on the maximum rate of the contributory state pension (inclusive of extra allowance for age, dependants, and living alone) and your weekly income is based on the maximum rate of the contributory state pension plus €100.

How to apply for the household benefits package?

Two application forms in yellow and blue

To fill out the Household benefits package form you'll need to hand in the following details:

  • Your contact and address details.
  • Your PPS number and the numbers of anyone else who lives with you.
  • A copy of your GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau) card, where applicable.
  • Your MPRN/GPRN numbers (these are your electricity or gas meter numbers).
  • Your television licence number.
  • Details of the financial institution (BIC and IBAN), or post office of your choosing.

To apply for the Household Benefits Package, first print the HB1 form, fill it out and return it signed to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

Selectra man

Check your eligibility in minutes.

It can sometimes be difficult to tell if you are eligible for energy schemes. Selectra can help you find out in minutes if you are and help you save even more on your energy bills!

1800 816 036 or
Selectra man

Save money on your energy bills with Selectra.

Selectra is currently closed. You can leave your phone number and get a free callback.

Switching suppliers

If you change energy supplier and you are receiving the household benefits package, it’s important to let the department of welfare know as soon as possible, and to provide them with proof of your new supplier (e.g. with a bill dating from the time you changed supplier) to not miss out on any payments.

At the moment only customers with Bord Gáis Energy and Electric Ireland can have their allowance applied directly to their bill; claimants who switch to any other provider will need to contact the department of welfare as soon as possible to provide them with details of the account where they would like to receive the payment instead.

Make no mistake, you can still switch energy providers in order to get the best deal possible, and we recommend comparing every 12 months to take advantage of the best offers available and avoid defaulting to the standard (and more expensive) tariff. The table below shows the cheapest offers from Ireland's largest suppliers.

Cheapest Duel Fuel Offer per Supplier
Supplier Best offer Price per year
Bord Gáis Energy 31% Electricity discount
40% Gas discount
Electric Ireland 26% Dual fuel discount €2,052.00
Energia 39% Electricity discount
38% Gas discount
PrePayPower Standard €2,599.03
SSE Airtricity 33% dual fuel discount €2,168.23
Compare Dual Fuel Offers Call  01 903 6528  Ad  Mon - Fri: 9 am - 6 pm

*Figures are for illustrative purposes only. Calculations based on average consumption figures for an urban home with a 24-hour standard meter. All discounts and cashback have been applied. Last updated: May 2022

What if I change address?

If you change address, your allowance will not be automatically transferred to your new accommodation, you will need to reapply in order to continue receiving benefits.

You'll again need to fill out the household benefits package form and post it to the Department of Welfare.

Backdating the allowance

A yellow and white calendar

As only one member of each household can receive the household benefits package, if the previous recipient leaves the household or passes away, but other house members qualify to receive the benefit, the qualifying person will need to reapply for the package within six months as this is the maximum amount of time the allowance can be backdated, meaning you may lose out if you wait any longer.

For example, if the household benefits allowance was in the name of your deceased spouse, and you are also entitled to receive it, then this is unfortunately another item you need to keep in mind during your time of bereavement. If you were to apply one year after the allowance ceased, you would only receive backdated payment on half the year.

For more in-depth information about rules, exceptions, and general conditions, you can check out the Household Benefits Page on the department of welfare's website.

If, after reading through this article and checking out the department of welfare's website, you still have any doubts or would prefer to discuss the scheme with someone in person, you can visit any citizen’s information centre, Intreo centre, or Social Welfare Branch Office. Alternatively, we have included on this webpage all the household benefits package contact information you may need for the relevant Department of Welfare section.

Household Benefits Package Contact Details

Send the HB1 household benefits package form to...

Department of Employment Affairs & Social Protection
(Household Benefits Package section)
Social Welfare Services
College Road

Contact by telephone...

☎ (071) 915 7100
LoCall ☎ 1818 200 400
Household Benefits Package Enquiry Form
Selectra man

Talk to a real person – Fast! Speak to one of our energy advisers now!

Our free service will put you through to a real person without the wait.

1800 816 036 or
Selectra man

Save money on your energy bills with Selectra.

Selectra is currently closed. You can leave your phone number and get a free callback.

Updated on

The services and products mentioned on this website may only represent a small selection of the options available to you. Selectra encourages you to carry out your own research and seek advice if necessary before making any decisions. We may receive commission from selected partner providers on sales of some products and/or services mentioned within this website. Our website is free to use, and the commission we receive does not affect our opinion or the information we provide.